Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gypsy Market Madness

Every Wednesday from 9:00-2:00 a caravan of white vans are unloaded to sell cheap goods, which is known as the Gypsy Market.

You can find a little bit of everything at this market from clothing for all ages, scarves, fresh olives, socks/leggings, fabric, jewelry, shoes, etc. While walking past the booths and tents you can hear phrases being yelled out such as, "Aproveche, Aproveche, Aproveche" meaning to take advantage of the cheap prices. This market is known for being extremely cheap. For instance, I bought a pair of tights for 2 Euros one time.

At this time of the year every store is in their "Rebajas" period, meaning things that didn't sell for the past season are held until after Christmas time and sold for extremely cheap. So it seems the Gypsy Market participates in this wonderful affair as well. Normally a pair of boots can be bought for as cheap as 10 Euros. Today I bought a pair of boots and a pair of sandals for 8 Euros TOTAL! Although, I am not buying quality, I am buying shoes that will keep me walking through these next 4 months. Deal for me!

Normally I can't resist the olive booth at the market because the smell is enticing. I have a favorite I usually buy, Garlic Stuffed Olives.There are usually two olive stands that have buckets and buckets of all sorts of colors and sizes of olives. You can find pickle stuffed olives, almond stuffed olives, pickled onions, pickled eggplant, pickled beans, and so on. When I have people come to visit me here in Spain, for instance my family and Saki, I buy these delicious olives because they can't get any better than this.

I plan on attending this wonderful little market as many Wednesdays as possible before I no longer have the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment